Tuesday, June 7, 2016

New Tool in the War Against Robocallers and Phone Scammers

I'm not posting this as an advertisement. I'm posting this as sweet revenge against telemarketing scammers (TMs) and robocallers. And there's something new that's FREE. Since I work at home writing, researching, and catching up on your latest Facebook news, interruptions from illegal TMs have driven me crazy, despite being on the Do-No-Call (DNC) list. Now they're starting to call cell phones, so dropping the landline is not an answer. TMs ignore the DNC and use fake caller ID numbers.

 



I've tried taking advantage of Verizon's call management to block specific numbers from TMs and annoying "surveyors." I posted a complaint on Verizon's community bulletin board, which, at the time, they only allowed up to 10 blocked numbers, a very silly limit with millions of illegal scam calls out there. There was a storm of agreement in public comments. Soon afterwards, they raised the limit to 100 numbers. Using that, aside from wasting my time, cut the number of robocalls in half, but it did not stop them. They change their fake numbers frequently.

The federal government has received hundreds of thousands of complaints over violations of the DNC. So, they sponsored a contest to reward the first company to come up with a better idea using technology. The winner was this company, Nomorobo. Dozens of landline, wireless, and internet phone companies are participating, including Verizon, AT&T, Xfinity, Skype, etc. And the great thing is, it's free. It should be. The phone companies have failed to stop TMs.

I installed Nomorobo this morning. It's easy if you can access your phone management on the web. I tested it and I'm ready to see what happens. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment